Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Life Balance

In a continuing theme..  It's the end of the year I have no posts to show for it.  Sigh. This blog began in response to changes in my life- moving from home to Nebraska for a set of jobs that would allow me to use my Masters and begin life as a pseudo-adult.   I found that I really enjoy the creation of new projects and that I can really accomplish whatever I imagine (with dedication and creativity)- an amazing revelation, really!  And that life became fuller and deeper, with new friends being made and finding my fiance.  Oh yes- update! Engaged as of late June  :)


I left you all with thoughts about grad school impacting sewing time and I was right to suspect the next year would be impacted.   As I write to you right now, I am officially a PhD candidate!!  Since the first class I taught at a TA in my Master's program, I've known teaching feeds my soul.  While teaching as an adjunct for the last couple of years has answered that desire in an abstract way, the frustrations of that life are beyond bearing.  (I will limit myself to saying that there are several really excellent articles on the condition adjuncts endure- Google it!  It's a deplorable place to leave education in.)  So thrilled to have been accepted into a great program that will enable me to reach for those dreams of college teaching!


Of course, this necessitated another move.  Sigh.  So tired of moving.  Nebraska was at least a familiar location for me and family was nearby if I needed them but this move to the East Coast has been another level of work. I am infinitely blessed to have my fiance with me this time around-- he makes everything bearable.  Really, I don't think I could do any of this without his love and never-ending support.  Everyday we're faced with how much being an adult sucks- seriously, why did we want this so much as kids?!- yet we're having a blast exploring this side of the country we've never been to before. Sooo different from the West or Midwest, let me tell you.

This all means that I spend most of my time in classes, behind a book, or in front of a classroom again.  However, I notice a void in my life that sewing fills and I'm determined to find the balance between being an awesome student and a creative individual!  This is, of course, in addition to planning a wedding from a distance.  And being a first-time aunt!    Life is full and wonderful- I intend to keep enjoying it at every moment!



No comments:

Post a Comment